Thursday, June 2, 2011

DIY: Magnetic Board Tutorial





It's super simple! 
Here's what you'll need: 
1. Picture frame- I got mine from St. Vincent De Paul for $2.00
2. Paint- I used a flat white paint made for interior use
3. A sheet made of ferrous metal (IE. steel or iron-based, something magnetic)- you can find this at hardware stores. I got mine from Home Depot. 
4. Fabric to cover the board
5. Paint brush 
6. Magnets
7. Hooks to hang jewelry- I also used drawer knobs to spice it up
                             

Instructions
1. Paint the frame the desired color. I also distressed mine. Distressing is super easy. After you have painted the frame just take a piece of sandpaper and rub it against the edges, corners, and anywhere else you want until the wood shows through the paint. 


Distressed frame corner
2. Cut the metal sheet with a pair of metal sheers (you can find these at a Hardware store) to fit your frame. 
3. Cut your fabric a little bit larger than the interior area of the frame so that you have enough fabric to fold over the backside. 


4. Glue or tape the fabric to the backside of the metal sheet so that the fabric lays flat and taut on the front side. I actually found that using duct tape worked better because I was able to pull the fabric tighter if my initial placement of the fabric was too loose. 

5. Screw in a few hooks to the top of the frame.


And Voila! It's that easy! 

If you want to use it for make-up, just simply glue a magnet to the back of each piece of make-up you want to stay on the board. 





4 comments:

  1. Easy, breezy, beautiful - just how I like it! Great tutorial :)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the frame in it's original state, but I love your distressed finish just the same. Please do more DIY post, this one was great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Myss! I felt the same way about the frame. I couldn't decide whether to paint it or not, but ultimately I figured the white would match my apartment a little better :) More DIY's coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...